The M&S Collection
About the Archive
To celebrate the 100th birthday of Marks & Spencer in 1984, the Company took the opportunity to look back with pride at its long history. We decided to collect together the many historical items from all over the Company and create the M&S Company Archive.
Since then, the archive team has worked to collect, catalogue and make available for use, all kinds of records of Marks & Spencer’s past.
Today the archive contains more than 70,000 items from the last 128 years, and we welcome new additions to our collection.
The collection includes:
- Documents, reports, letters, speeches, employee magazines, annual reports and advertising leaflets
- Photographs, films and oral history recordings
- Clothing, food packaging and merchandise from the days of the Penny Bazaar to the present
More details on our collection and what it holdsOpen PDF
Research and resources
Contact the archivists
- M&S Company Archive
- Michael Marks Building
- University of Leeds
- LS2 9JT (sat nav LS2 9LZ)
- Opening Hours
- Monday - Saturday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Sunday: Closed
- Bank Holidays: Closed
- We will be closed for the Easter period from 18-21 April inclusive, re-opening on 22 April 2014
- (0)208 7182800
About the Company Marks & Spencer - The Company
Make a donation
A 1920s tea set recently donated to the collection
We are always delighted to receive your donations
How to donate
Have you got any M&S treasures tucked away? We welcome donations that help to enhance the M&S archive collection. See our Collection Policy for more information. Please contact us to talk about a possible donation.Collection Development Policy
Discover what's in the archive
Our online catalogue lets you find descriptions and images of thousands of items in our collection. Use the catalogue to organise your visit to the Reading Room by choosing what you want to see, or just browse highlights in our Themes section.